We’ve reached the second buttercream flower cake of our series, a pink “million flower” domed ring wreath cake! In this video I show you how to make a domed ring wreath design from start to finish, using my buttercream and all natural beetroot powder to get all the shades of pink used. All the other details you’ll need are in the blog post below. Enjoy!
- Wilton 104 for roses,
- Wilton 102 for hydrangeas and other filler flowers,
- Wilton 81 for chrysanthemums,
- DIY piping cones, DIY leaf tip
Watch my DIY food colours video for more details.
- Pink: beetroot powder, mixed with a little hot water to make a paste. Use varying amounts mixed into buttercream to get light peach-pink to deep pink results. For very dark colours, use paste initially then add powder to darken, to prevent the extra liquid causing your buttercream to split (if slightly split mix in fresh uncoloured buttercream to save it).
- Purple: blueberry powder or purple gel colour.
- Green: Matcha powder
- Yellow: turmeric powder.
- Bake and ice a cake using a recipe of your choice. If you don’t know how to ice cakes or need a recipe, follow the links below.
- Prepare a batch of my buttercream, links above, and colour using natural or gel colours. For natural colours, mix powders with a tiny bit of warm water until you get a thick paste before use.
- Divide the buttercream into piping bags fitted with the appropriate tips.
- Pipe large flowers such as rosebuds, chrysanthemum and blossoms onto parchment paper and freeze solid.
- Pipe a buttercream ring on top of the cake as shown, going over several times to add height. Use a large round tip, a coupler without a tip or a large hole cut into your piping bag. Note: this seems like a lot of buttercream, but it is still less on each slice than you would get on a cupcake with a tall swirl on top. Once the cake is cut into slices this becomes obvious.
- Fill space by piping more flowers as shown in the video.
- Accentuate with buttercream leaves.
That should be all you need to know to make your own million flower ring cake 🙂 Thank you for watching and stay tuned for the next in the series, coming soon!
*please note I get a little ad revenue if you click on any of the pictures of amazon products above, so if you’re going to buy anything I’d really appreciate you supporting my channel at the same time by using these links. It doesn’t cost you any extra, and I only link to products I’ve used or close equivalents, and would recommend. Thank you.