Guava blossoms have to be amongst some of the most gorgeous flowers I’ve ever seen. As soon as I saw one I knew I wanted to recreate it – delicate petals topped with a burst of pure white stamens, like a mini explosion of light. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy given how fine and delicate the blooms are, but they were just so beautiful I had to try. This is my result, as part of a buttercream guava pear wreath cake. You can watch the video here.
Colours: I use a mix of natural and gel colours. You can see my DIY natural colours video to learn how, or use a combination of similar gel or powder colours to get the same look. I don’t recommend using any very liquid food colouring as it’ll probably make your buttercream split.
Before you start: prepare a smooth iced 6″ cake. If you don’t know how to ice a cake smoothly, I recommend using my tutorials here for a semi-naked cake plus recipe, and here for a fully iced (frosted) one. My blog posts and videos should help teach you the most straightforward way to get a professional looking result.
The instructions and products you’ll need are linked in the list below, for both the US and UK. These are affiliate links, which means you get to support my tutorials without paying a penny more than usual.
Here’s everything, in order of appearance in the video:
- Blossoms, petals:
- Blossoms, centre & stamen heads:
- Blossoms, stamens:
- Guava pears:
- colours: matcha & turmeric, spirulina to darken for the painting buttercream (see video)
- melt the buttercream slightly until the desired consistency is reached (as seen in the video). Use 5s bursts in the microwave on half power so as not to over-melt. Gently spoon the buttercream into shape on parchment paper, then freeze before painting with darker green buttercream to add depth.
- DIY leaf tip,
- colours: spirulina and matcha (or green & yellow gel colours)
- pipe leaves spaced around the branches, then position the frozen fruit and flowers around the wreath on top.
That should be all you need to know to make your own guava pear and guava blossom wreath cake! I hope ou enjoyed this mini-series. I have a lot more exciting and innovative ideas coming up, so subscribe below to keep updated and stay tuned!
Check out my other videos: Visit my channel